Saturday 30 November 2013

No smoke without Pyre

                                                        ~ ~ Present day ~ ~

Random Friend: NGS sutta hai ?? Oh sorry I forgot u quit. By the I was just confirming, just in case ;)
Me: ( opening my no smoking android app Rajnikant style and reading out loud ) 135 days,13 hours 36 minutes, money saved Rs 10845.85, Not smoked 1355.73 cigarettes since July 17, 2013 (closing like a boss). By the way I was just updating, just in case ;)

                                             <<<<<< Flashback >>>>>>>

October 20, 2006. Coming out of First Day First Show of Don:The Chase Begins Again, after having bunked School. Playing in mind the last scene where SRK blows out the ring of smokes and then tosses the cigarette butt in the air.Unable to resist the temptation of imitating him, I approach a cigarette stall nearby and hesitantly gather courage to mutter the words " Bhaiya ek cigarrette dena". The shopkeeper too busy dealing with customers , shouts "Kaun Si !! " I point towards the one in his hand and say "Yehi wali". He hands me over a choti gold flake with a disgusted look. I kept it in my pocket and fled from there hoping no relatives or uncles has seen me. Found a private place and the theme music of DON resumes in my head.Struggled to light it up and finally took the the first puff of my life.


Since then, there was no looking back.Initially I decided to have it only on Saturdays, and a few weeks later decided to abstain from it on Saturdays alone.Dint even realize when this luxury became the necessity and one fag a day soon became one pack a day.Those who used to greet me from distance saying " Aur NGS kaisa hai ? started shouting from distance "Aur NGS, sutta hai ??  Shahrukh made 6 Pack Abs and earned billions after that movie while he gave me more than 6 packs a week for my lungs and burdened my little pocket.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that It has been more than four months since I smoked my last cigarette and I can confidently say that I've finally quit it, It is such a pleasant feeling that I really feel like putting this in my CV as an achievement

Apart from the lower risk of deadly health hazards, let me enumerate the practical advantages a non-smoker has over a smoker.

1) You can enjoy a movie with a guilt free mind.You will not have to sit through 90 seconds of lessons on how to use your sponge like lungs and curse Mukesh Harane for not quitting tobacco while your well wisher friends poke you and make faces.

2) Eight out passes a month is more than sufficient. No more fighting with guards & Roy Uncle and no more begging Arjun Singh everyday to go out.You might even have surplus out passes to distribute.

3) You will have so much time left at your disposal that in worst case scenario you might even consider going to library instead of sitting at Hans.

4) Digits in both, your bank account and probably in your mark sheet will be on a higher side.

5) You can confidently go and sit beside the hottest girl in class, and talk without stinking like a dead rat.

6) You don't have to run back to your room and hunt for smoke in the short breakfast break.

7) No more burned bed sheets or pillow covers and your room doesn't look like crematorium with matchsticks and ashes all over.

8) You can comfortably have a 20 hour train journey without trying to smoke hiding in toilet or running from TTE.

The only advantage of a smoker over non smoker is that girls feel safe with him.Because smoking also causes ED and impotency.

The lovely tube of delight which was an indispensable part of my life few months back, now makes me wonder why on earth would one even try that.I cant find any rationale behind smoking and I donno what was the guy thinking who invented cigarettes. it is the most unnatural activity I have ever seen. Imagine a cow or a goat taking a mouthful of straw, burning it and then blowing out smokes. It is just not done. Fellatio is still natural by that logic.BUT NOT THIS.

As a teenager it gives an illusion of being cool and a bad ass but trust me no one ever looked a bigger fool than while smoking. As it is said that a cigarette is a pinch of tobacco rolled in a piece of paper, with fire at one end and a fool at the other.For some youngsters  it symbolizes an element of revolt against elders and system but this revolutionary activity ends up making you a slave rather than a liberator.


But you cant blame the smokers.I know how hard it is to quit.Tried everything from nicorette to electronic cigarette.Nothing seems to work for long.Even Obama is still trying. It takes control of all your activities from potty time to bedtime. It becomes such a big motivation that even the laziest of all the creature will walk several miles to get  cigarettes even at midnight. It is so damn addictive and blinds you so much that despite reading the warning in bold "SMOKING KILLS " in your pack, you don't hesitate  even once before pulling out your death weapon from it.

I am not sure about the existence of God, but if there is one thing I am sure of is that The Last Cigarette does not exist. I have had thousands of last cigarettes of my life with pompous ceremonies and today I don't even remember how was my real last cigarette.But now I know that quitting is not impossible and totally worth the withdrawal. After much research and experience I discovered that best way to quit is to go cold turkey.

 I really wont believe you if you tell me that you don't want to quit. And if you do want to quit, always remember that where there is "WILLs", there is No way and there's no smoke without Pyre.Quit smoking, and just like me, you can compensate by bragging about it ;)

Good bye Friend







No comments:

Post a Comment